Despite the economic pinch felt by so many travelers in recent years, there’s been huge growth in vacation rental home, condo and villa stays. Experts today turn to the attitudes behind this booming interest for a look into what’s driving vacation rentals’ popularity.
“Travelers’ motivations toward vacation rental hospitality are compelling. More than just reasons, they’re inherent to people’s core values,” explains Alex Risser, President of the Vacation Rental Manages Association and its Discover Vacation Homes awareness campaign, the official public resource on vacation rental travel. “This helps explain the positive outlook we have for our hospitality industry segment now, and for its continued growth.”
Here are the top reasons named by leisure travelers for choosing vacation rentals on trips, according to the Ypartnership/Harrison Group 2010 Portrait of American Travelers(SM):
1. Value for the price: More than nine in 10 travelers rate value as the main reason they’ll select vacation rentals on trips. They often provide significant cost savings versus other lodging options, also offering inherent values that remain unmatched.
2. Privacy: Most travelers also enjoy a sense of privacy and comfort, with 89% having named this as a primary motivator. Private homes and condos alike represent a true retreat for most guests.
3. Full kitchen facilities: Nearly nine in 10 travelers choose vacation rentals for access to fully equipped kitchens, which offer the freedom to prepare meals, store snacks/leftovers, or visit local markets for fresh, regional ingredients.
4. More space overall: Like a true home away from home, vacation rentals often provide from 1,000 to more than 4,000 sq. ft. of space. 86 percent of travelers agree this is a key reason to rent.
5. Amenities: This is a top consideration for 85 percent of travelers, as guests today find familiarities like bath toiletries, fresh linens and added amenities like game rooms, private swimming pools, fireplaces, in-home movie theatres with free DVD rentals or more, especially when staying with a professional property manager.
6. Extra bedrooms: Fully seven in 10 travelers find multiple bedrooms to be a top vacation rental motivator. Some three-bedroom properties sleep up to eight guests versus just one or two, also offering room to unwind and enjoy varying bedtimes.
7. Family “togethering:” 68 percent of travelers say they’ll choose vacation rentals for the experience itself – growing closer by enjoying quality time together underneath one roof. For many, it’s this atmosphere that sets vacation rentals apart.
For more information about vacation rental travel, and to find reputable companies in locations across North America, please visit online and don’t miss the travel deals.
*Asked among those adults who are interested in staying in a vacation home rental as an alternative to a traditional hotel or resort during the next two years.
For an official resource with answers to more questions, click on “Travelers”. Also connect with others in the Facebook vacation rental community or join the conversation on Twitter.